Tuesday, October 27, 2009

homeschooling, Legos, rockets, and digestion

In a graduate class i am taking right now, we heard today about testing to different learning styles. This is nothing new to me--in my book, I even have a quick test you can give your kiddo to find out if he is a visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learner. Most hs moms I know realize that their children usually have differing learning styles - mine certainly did!
Number 1 learned mostly in a visual way, while kiddo # 2 was a textbook auditory learner. Number three was a combination of both---and this last Costello is a kid who HAS to be doodling, playing with Legos, fidgeting, coloring, or shaping Sculpy (totally hands-on kinesthetic)in order to FOCUS on listening, memorizing, or narrating.
Speaking of memorizing, a year ago, he was actually PITIFUL at remembering and repeating anything. I gave him Psalm 1 to memorize--which we tried SLOWLY--half verse by half verse---and now, a year later---he is doing an amazing job!! Go get your Bble right now and find out why Psalm 1 is such answer to my prayer---I believe God GAVE him this ability as Luke digested the living word of God!!!
He loves creating---and it is now 9:15 p.m.---and he is staying up a tad past bedtime to work with his dad on a homemade model rocket that Gil & Liz gave him. Learning is lifelong--and not confined to a few hours in the day! I love watching him learn with his own giftings!

Karen Costello is the author of "Go Fly a Kite — Ten Surprising Strategies for Success in Your Homeschool".Karen is also available to speak at your homeschool conventions and other homeschool functions.After 25 years of homeschooling, Karen has refined fun, successful teaching ideas which will work for you!

1 comment:

  1. My little man is 4 and almost totally auditory.
    Can usually repeat verbatim anything I say to him and has memorized Ps 23, The Let the little children come unto me... (can't rememeber reference) and is learning ABC's by Bible verses (the Awana book) . And I suspect a little Kinesthetic. He seems like he has to be always touching something or putting things in his mouth to chew on (toys, fingernails...). I have a feeling we are going to have alot of pencils covered in teeth marks.
    My sister let me borrow her copy of Go Fly a Kite. I LOVED it! You had me crying in a number of places. I am going to buy my own copy to refer to when I get overwhelmed.
    So excited to become a member of the HS group!
    Julie Clark Duncan

    ReplyDelete